Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Coming in 2019


Here are some books I can’t wait to read in the first half of 2019. Problem is, I’m sure I’ll think of more, the minute I post this blog. Click the links to learn more. What’s on your reading list so far this year?

The Wartime Sisters: A Novel by Lynda Cohen Loigman. It's on my bedside table now! I'm excited to dive into this story of two sisters in a WWII armory, each with a deep secret. I absolutely loved Loigman's debut, The Two-Family House.

The Age of Light by Whitney Scharer - February 5. Told in interweaving timelines, this much anticipated novel is a portrait of Lee Miller--who transformed from a model to a renowned photographer in the first half of the twentieth century.

The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin - February 5. If you loved the NYT bestselling The House Girl like I did, then add this to your reading list. It's a sweeping and intimate epic about one American family--a novel that Meg Wolitzer calls "richly observed and ambitious."


American Pop by Snowden Wright - February 5. It's about a Southern dynasty with ambition, passion, and tragedy, moving from Mississippi to Paris to New York and back. I can see myself getting lost in this family saga that follows the rise of a soft drink empire.

Baby of the Family: A Novel by Maura Roosevelt - March 5. In this debut, the money is old, the problems are new--and one American family has secrets. 


Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid - March 5. The iconic rise and infamous breakup of a 1970s rock band will be laid bare in this book. If it's as juicy as The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, it will be a page-turner.

The Last Year of the War by Susan Meissner - March 19. Meissner promises yet another emotional read with this story of identity, and two girls confined to a German internment camp in America during WWII.

Outside Looking In by T.C. Boyle - April 9. Boyle blew me away with his gritty historical fiction about Frank Lloyd Wright and Dr. Alfred Kinsey, so his spin on psychedelic drug guru Timothy Leary should be a real trip. 

When We Left Cuba by Chanel Cleeton - April 9. I think I fell in love with Cleeton's last book, Next Year in Havana even before Reese Witherspoon's book club did. Now, we'll be treated to a continuation of that story, with gutsy sister Beatriz and the Cuban Revolution. 

Lost Roses by Martha Hall Kelly - April 19. A follow-up to her beautiful and wildly popular Lilac Girls, comes this story of three women set a generation earlier--in WWI. It's also based on true events. 

The Abolitionist's Daughter by Diane C. McPhail - April 30. I had the pleasure of meeting this author at a 10-day writer's workshop at Yale University. When she described her novel-in-progress over lunch one day, I knew immediately that I'd have to read this book. It's set in Mississippi and depicts a struggle of the Civil War that's much lessor known.


The Guest Book by Sarah Blake - May 7. I loved Blake's The Postmistress. Her new book is about a decision that ripples through a family for generations. Right up my alley.

The Last Time I Saw You by Liv Constantine - May 7. This book is about the aftermath of a brutal murder in high society. It's rumored to have shocking twists--and I believe it, because I read Constantine's last bestseller, The Last Mrs. Parrish


The Confessions of Frannie Langton: A Novel by Sara Collins - May 21. A debut novel being compared to The Underground Railroad and The Paying Guests, it's a historical thriller about a former slave who murders her employer and his wife.

The Electric Hotel by Dominic Smith - June 4. I once named Smith's The Last Painting of Sara De Vos the best of the first 100 past-and-present novels I'd tweeted about. The author shifts between periods again here, though this time it's about the fate of a silent film director and his muse.

The Summer Country by Lauren Willig - June 4. This book is billed as a multi-generational Victorian epic of lost love, lies, jealousy, and rebellion set in colonial Barbados. I can't wait!


I've already got a reading list started for the second half of this year. . . .


To receive notifications of my blog posts, visit any page in the blog while you're not on a mobile device. Enter your email address in the Subscribe box.     

No comments:

Post a Comment